What is Marketing?
Marketing is a form of communication between you and your customers with the goal of selling your product or service to them. Communicating the value of your product or service is a key aspect of successful marketing. While the role of marketing is complex, there are three pivotal points that serve as a compass:
- Understand your customer through research to gain deep and profound insights into buyers and customers
- Identify the specific goals and needs of customers and to guide the creation of products or services to fulfill them
- Build trust, communicate and provide information, enabling buyers and customers to make informed decisions in such a way that the product or service sells itself.
At Saunders, you will gain a solid understanding of business activities under the marketing umbrella, which encompasses learning how to identify and select target markets, the development, placement and promotion of goods and services, and the management of relationships among business partners and their customers, and how to analyze the successfulness of your marketing campaigns. In addition, students study business-consumer relationships from many angles including advertising, internet marketing, search engine analytics and buyer behavior.
A Necessity in Every Industry
Saunders College marketing majors study business-consumer relationships from many angles including internet marketing, professional selling, international marketing and consumer behavior, as well as gain competence in the technical skills of search engine optimization and data analytics. It is a dynamic field that has great impact on a firm's success.
- You are guaranteed real-world experience as a part of one of the oldest and largest cooperative education programs
- The curriculum prepares you with a research and strategy background that can be applied to any industry, no matter your interest
- Marketing students can participate in extracurricular activities, and our students have gone on to win national and international marketing competitions with Macy’s and the U.S. State Department
- Our RIT Marketing Club is an American Marketing Association collegiate chapter that works in conjunction with the local Rochester AMA to arrange company tours, host guest speakers, offer networking opportunities and attend conferences
- Faculty are active in research and industry practitioners bring the latest trends into the classroom
- Graduates from Saunders are motivated and are always networking. Good interpersonal and communications skills will benefit them in the workplace.
Saunders College of Business is #1 in Western NY, ranking #62 nationally for undergraduate business programs in the U.S. News & World Report “Best Colleges” rankings, moving up two places from last year. These ranking are based on graduation and retention rates, as well as peer assessment and faculty resources.
Learn about other top rankings and recognition received by programs at Saunders College and Rochester Institute of Technology.
At the intersection of business and technology
Saunders College of Business, as a college within RIT, places an emphasis on technology and innovation in every program we offer. Saunders College teaches the cutting-edge accounting technologies and information systems, as only RIT can deliver, to help you stand out.