Coming this Spring 2021!
Become an Analytics Champion! Saunders College of Business hosts the First Annual Business Analytics Student Competition at Saunders College of Business. Undergraduate and graduate RIT students are eligible to compete for $1,750 in cash prizes while gaining experience analyzing real-world data sets.
The competition provides an exciting opportunity for students from diverse backgrounds and different analytical skill levels. They will face challenging and meaningful business problems as covered in Saunders analytics programs.
April 23, 3:00 p.m. - Competition Kick-off Meeting
- The recording of the kick-off event is here. Click "Sign in with SSO" and log in with RIT credentials.
- Competition dataset and challenge are made available to registered students
- Email Quang Bui or Victor Perotti to request access to the MyCourses course shell for the competition
May 26, midnight - Competition Submission Deadline
- Submission deadline for the four-page summary
- The submission system is the MyCourses course shell "Business Analytics Competition @ RIT". Email Quang Bui or Victor Perotti for access
- Presentation to panel of industry experts
- Award ceremony
- Date and time to be announced soon
- Students can form teams of up to five students to participate in the competition.
- The competition is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Ph.D. students are not eligible for this competition.
- Students from all majors at RIT are eligible to participate. Global campus students are also eligible.
- Participating students must currently enroll in an academic program at RIT.
The competition will feature two rounds, and both will use the same dataset. The judging for each round will be different.
- Registered teams will get access to the competition dataset. Teams will apply different analytical techniques to address the questions posed in the challenge.
- Based on the analysis, each team will prepare a four-page summary of their analysis and answers to the questions.
- A panel of professors and experts will judge the quality of the summary. The panel will recommend a small set of teams to move on to the next round.
- Finalist teams will prepare an in-depth presentation. Additional questions may be provided to guide the preparation.
- Teams will present their presentations to a panel of industry experts. The panel will evaluate the technical sophistication of the analysis and the business value of the overall report.
- The presentation and judging event will be open to all RIT faculty and students.
Awards and Recognitions
The top three teams from round two will be recognized with the following awards:
- First place: $1,000
- Second place: $500
- Third place: $250
Other honorable mentions will also be recognized. Teams will also receive trophies and/or certifications of achievement to recognize their accomplishments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Team Composition and Participation:
Competition Dataset, Software, and Procedures
The challenge dataset and instructions are posted in RIT MyCourses course shell "Business Analytics Competition @ RIT". All students who registered for the kick-off meeting will automatically be granted access. To request access to the course shell, please email Professor Quang Bui.
Yes and No. Yes, because students will present to a panel of industry experts. No, because the company in the competition is fictional.