Saunders College of Business is getting close to breaking ground on a building expansion, increasing its current footprint by approximately 80 percent. Plans for the 35,000 square-foot addition incorporates applied learning and collaboration elements, including; additional classrooms, applied research laboratories, event space, a large auditorium and student team rooms. To understand more about the renovation, we've put together some questions and answers below. Please submit additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why is Saunders doing this?
To accommodate its growth while creating a more innovative learning environment providing state-of-the-art facilities graduates find in industry. This expansion provides more opportunities for applied learning and creates additional spaces for students to collaborate.
Has construction started?
Construction has not yet started. The project is currently in its engineering design phase. It is anticipated that construction will begin late spring/early summer of 2021.
What is its projected completion date?
The project is scheduled to be completed two years after the start of construction. It is anticipated to have a "soft" opening during the spring of 2023 and it will officially be open to welcome the incoming freshman class of 2023.
What impacts (if any) will the expansion have on the faculty and college while it's underway?
No significant disruption is anticipated for students and faculty during construction as existing facilities are to remain accessible.
Will parts of the building be unavailable to students during the project? Will any of the college's programs be affected during construction?
One potential disruption may be using the main entrance, on the east side of Lowenthal Hall, as the expansion is planned for the east side of the building. It is anticipated for students and faculty to use the back entrance and/or an alternate entrance/exit during that time.
What does the building expansion include?
This transformational project includes some of the following elements:
- Student team rooms and flexible spaces to drive student and faculty collaboration.
- A state-of-the-art auditorium to support distinguished guest lectures and events that enable the rich engagement of students, faculty, alumni, and business and community leaders.
- Applied research collaboratories to support research focused on addressing contemporary business challenges.
- A premier, multi-functional event venue that will also serve as a learning laboratory for the hospitality-related programs.
- A café with comfortable seating with snacks throughout the day and evening.
- Additional classrooms and office space.
More information regarding the building expansion can be found on our website.