Accounting is much different than it used to be! Accountants today are being asked to utilize technology to work with and manage accounting information systems and communication tools such as social media to interact with customers and build the company’s network.
Accounting is one of the most necessary professions globally as it serves as the backbone for organizations. Saunders College of Business provides a comprehensive degree meant to prepare students for various jobs in the industry, delivering the essential technology and analytic skills employers seek. Careers in the field include:
- certified public accountant (CPA)
- management accountant
- government accountant
- fraud examiner
- tax accountant
Saunders offers students various opportunities to succeed in their career with top-level professional courses, undergraduate and graduate programs that meet the requirements to take the New York State CPA exam and corporate partnerships. Students can additionally:
- Work with the latest software in our state-of-the-art facilities; Bloomberg Terminal, NinjaTrader and Microsoft’s Visio, Access and QuickBooks software.
- Network with professionals from the Big Four and regional accounting firms when joining the student-run Next Generation of Accountants (NGA) chapter.
- Gain access to mentoring opportunities with industry professionals and learn first-hand from accounting professionals with Saunders Accounting Advisory Board.
- Participate in the annual accounting banquet with advisory board members and build professional connections.
- Attend the accounting specific career fair, with access to local and national co-op and career opportunities.
- Receive two degrees in five years with the BS/MS in accounting option.
- Learn how to manage accounting information systems from a faculty recognized nationally as #6 in management information systems.
Accounting students have several opportunities upon graduation as they have the knowledge and technical skills to be a practicing accountant. This knowledge also includes how to deliver insights that affect profit and loss decisions. Graduates can also to pursue licensure as a certified public accountant. This path leads to skills for decision making, problem-solving and business insights. Alumni have additionally had success starting firms or becoming top-level executives at a Big Four accounting firm.
Saunders College of Business at Rochester Institute of Technology
Saunders College provides students with a comprehensive understanding of business while utilizing RIT’s vast resources in technology. The core curriculum provides business students with the knowledge they need to succeed in their field, and courses are designed to reflect the latest trends and business needs. RIT is also the home to one of the world’s first cooperative education programs, allowing students to do paid work and gain hands-on experience before they graduate. With the dynamic network of more than 25,000 Saunders College alumni and 130,000 RIT alumni, students make a global impact! Saunders College of Business is #1 in Western New York, ranking #67 nationally for undergraduate business programs by U.S. News & World Report, 2021.