Marty Lawlor is currently Senior Lecturer of Marketing and Management, and Director of the Online Executive MBA Program at the Saunders College of Business at Rochester Institute of Technology. He has held senior management positions in corporate strategy, competitive intelligence, information research, and business development with leading telecommunications and wireless Internet firms including Nortel Networks and InfoSpace, Inc.
Earlier, he spent more than a decade in entrepreneurial ventures, including starting up and managing a retail bookstore, and founding FYI, an early information brokerage firm. Marty has focused extensively on market and technology topics, and has conducted numerous analysis projects with a focus on actionable analysis to enable more effective decision-making. His work ranges from market assessments, competitive profiles, and business cases, to vision papers, and strategic plan recommendations. He is a member of the American Marketing Association, a board member of the International Resource Group, and was a founding member of the Innovation Roundtable hosted by Idea Connections. Current and recent projects include a market opportunity assessment for the Rochester Tooling and Machining Association, and a strategic analysis of business center survey and focus group data for the United States State Department. He has also conducted multiple strategic plan analyses under a New York State Department of Labor grant administered by the Center for Integrated Manufacturing Studies at Rochester Institute of Technology. A recent entrepreneurial venture is a pilot launch of a searchable web-based database of topical news-related media for business school faculty.
Marty received his B.A. in Spanish from the University of Buffalo, and holds an M.L.S. from SUNY at Geneseo and an M.B.A. from Rochester Institute of Technology.
- M.B.A. in NULL from RIT, 2001
- M.L.S. in Masters of Library Science from SUNY at Geneseo, 1976
- B.A. in Spanish Language from University at Buffalo, 1971
- President | inClassmedia LLC | 2007-Present
- Principal | Martin Lawlor Associates | 2001-Present
- Manager, Business Development | INFOSPACE, INC | 2001-2002
- Advisor, Manager | Nortel Networks | 1991-2001
- Competitive Intelligence
- Strategic management
- Strategic marketing
- American Marketing Association
- 2013: System and Method for the Creation and Access of Dynamic Course Content.. This is related to my Inclassmedia application. This patent was an extension of my earlier patent. This one relates to mapping my content to eText books.
- 2012: System and Method for the Creation and Access of Dynamic Course Content. This patent relates to my inclassmedia, LLC application. inclassmedia is a web-based information content search application targeted at business faculty in North America. The application is a pedagogical tool used to illustrate course concepts and promote classroom discussion. Faculty can search a database of different media slides to find topical news and concept-specific slides for display in their own classroom presentations.