Saunders College of Business at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) has been a proud partner of DECA, Inc. This organization prepares national and international high school students for marketing, finance, hospitality, and management careers. Each year, Saunders College gives one student involved in DECA a $1,000 scholarship.

Alden Smith, from Bridgeport High School, is the 2020 Saunders College DECA Scholarship recipient! Alden joined DECA her freshman year, she quickly became involved in organizing community-wide events and ran for a DECA state officer position her sophomore year. She became the second student in her school’s history to hold a DECA state title. As the West Virginia DECA Chartered President, Alden feels prepared for her career as a business major and is grateful to the organization where she grew as a leader and as a dedicated and driven individual. Read below to hear by Alden chose Saunders College.

Q: How did you hear about Saunders College of Business at Rochester Institute of Technology?

A: I first heard about RIT and Saunders College of Business through DECA. As a two-term state officer and a recent executive officer candidate, I was familiar with all DECA partners. I went through their collegiate and academic partners early in my college application process. Additionally, when I researched business schools across the country, RIT continuously stood out to me because of the variety of programs and inclusive environment.

Q: Why did you choose Saunders College at RIT? What were some key differentiators in your decision-making process?

A. Some of the critical aspects I looked for when evaluating my college options were connections to study abroad programs, global campuses and internship opportunities. RIT had all of those. My interest in RIT and Saunders was already piqued. When I looked further into RIT's programs and initiatives- specifically the unique co-op experience- I knew that RIT and Saunders would be a good educational fit for me. Tiger Tank, the Venture Creations Incubator, and the RIT Student Accelerator Program were also interesting to me as a finance major with a passion for entrepreneurship.

Saunders College supports DECA students, teachers and advisors through its partnership. Teachers and advisors can use classroom resources to help or request specific information on programs of interest. Resources include a classroom Zoom session with Saunders business professors from any of our undergraduate discipline areas. DECA students must be accepted into Saunders College of Business for consideration of the $1,000 DECA Scholarship and have to include their DECA participation in the application details!