Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

This past Spring I studied abroad in Tokyo, Japan. I studied through one of the programs associated with RIT called CIEE. My overall experience was just awesome to simplify things. However, while abroad I not only went through culture shock but experienced cultural differences and a language barrier that I had to pick up on, and more. I studied a little Japanese before going but honestly wish I had studied before. Fortunately they had a placement test we had to take before classes started, and was placed in the correct level.  

jaqc            

While in Japan you quickly learn the train system and how to get around because its needed when you’re trying to go places. I got to visit many areas while being at one of the top schools in Tokyo (Sophia University). I went to areas like Osaka, Kyoto, Kamakura, Nikko, Hiroshima, Miyajima (Island), Akihabara, Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Shin-Okubo (Korean Town), Yokohama (China town), and many other areas. Learning the language there was a little difficult but got better when interacting with Japanese people. Getting used to the food took time but eventually I even started cooking my own Japanese dishes mainly with friends. If the food is not for someone they also have some American restaurants and other global brands out there such as KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, TGI Fridays, Hooters, and more.

-Jaquan Outlaw

Blog Tags: